Thursday, September 29, 2011

Matchy-Matchy FTW

It's a well-known fact that I love matchy outfits. I will never be one of those people who create outfits where items "go with" each other. OH NO. Items must match & tie in together purposefully, if not painfully obviously. As yesterday's historical photos show, I've always been like this.

I even do this in my costuming. A purple gown needs a purple hat and purple shoes, duh! Friends will make costumes and insist that the hat should be a different color than the gown so it's not "too matchy," and I just don't understand them. Matching is where it's at, no matter the era.

What I'm wearing:
Red knit top with tied neck, Target | Black & white stripey skirt, White House Black Market | Black tights, Calvin Klein | Red ankle boots, Aerosoles | Silver disk earrings, random accessory store| White & black beaded cuff bracelet, bought in Kauai | "Gash" lipstick, Urban Decay

Are you a matchy dresser or a go-with dresser?

9 comments:

  1. I absolutely LOVE this outfit. It's so whimsical! (I'm all about the whimsy, y'know.)

    I think there's a difference between being matchy-matchy and having items that reference each other. A good outfit needs a unifying theme, which is all the more important in alternative fashion for reining in the wild hares we sometimes like to follow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so stylish! The skirt and the matching bracelet was very clever I think.
    Wishing you a pleasant weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Damned right! Matchy RULES.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Matching supposedly came back into vogue in the last few years. It's great as long as you don't look like grandma in her matching sweatshirt & poly pants, embroidered with songbirds.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm matchy, definitely. I'm getting better at seeing what "goes" together, but because my color sense is so out of whack, I find it easier to match stuff. This would also be why I've spent most of my life in black or denim -- no matching necessary. I used to claim I needed Garanimals for adults.

    Am I the only person who remembers Garanimals? The kids clothes with the animals on the tags? You put the tiger top with the tiger bottoms...ok, I'll stop now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Traicetrak - I love a touch of whimsy too.

    linnea-maria - Thanks, have a great weekend!

    Sal - I think we could be mayors or nearby matchy-towns.

    LovleAnjel - LOL, now there's an image!

    lazysubculturalgirl - Oh yeah, I remember Garanimals. I didn't have them, but I wanted them ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the red tone, it looks very well on you. And the skirt is just lovely, so cute >_<.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Madame Macabre - Thanks! I do love a cherry red.

    ReplyDelete